I’m Simon Brodie, military, veteran, nerd, and down-to-earth consultant and coach living on the beautiful Scottish Island of Orkney. I work face-to-face locally within the UK, and also nationally and globally via Skype and email.
I have 28 years of leadership and management experience covering a wide variety of areas, such as:
- Leadership – as well as leading multi-disciplinary teams of up to 150 personnel, I was also involved in developing the way that leadership was taught to the UK military, all of which was sufficient to earn me a Level 7 Extended Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership with the Chartered Institute of Management.
- Risk Management – Risk management was a specialist area of mine, and helping individuals and organisations to better understand risk management and business continuity, is a particular passion.
- Creative problem solving – I spent a number of years working with Oxford Creativity as a TRIZ trainer. This gave me a strong understanding of this simple, yet highly effective method of analysing problems and of supporting world-class teams to identify a range of innovative solutions to meet their technical needs.
- Regulatory Compliance – Whether it’s the Heath and Safety at Work Act 1974, Environmental Protection Act 1990, The Equality Act 2010 etc, I have experience of supporting organisations to understand, meet, and suitably document their legal responsibilities.
- Coaching – I have significant experience in coaching and in supporting individuals to develop themselves in order to achieve their personal and professional goals.
- Instructing – I instructed 1000s of students in a wide variety of subjects. In addition to the actual instructional elements of course delivery, I also gained significant experience in training-needs analysis, course design, course development, and course and staff evaluation.
- Change management – I have experienced the management of change from both sides of the coin, from working level up to strategic level changes and I understand the impact that change has on teams. I understand how to get the best out of teams undergoing change and how to manage change effectively.
Qualifications and Training
Clients choose to work with me because they trust me, and they feel I’m the best fit to work with them, it’s not about my certificates. However it is important that those you work with ARE suitably trained, so here are some details of my formal training and my continuous professional development:
05/18 – Level 7 Extended Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership (via Chartered Institute of Management)
04/18 – Small Business Finances (via HMRC)
03/18 – The General Data Protection Regulations (via Information Commissioner’s Office)
02/18 – Solving Contradictions with TRIZ (via Oxford Creativity)
06/16 – Evaluating truth and credibility (via Emotional Intelligence Academy Group)
06/16 – Emotional skills and competencies (via Emotional Intelligence Academy Group)
03/15 – Level 5 BTEC in Trauma Risk Management (via March on Stress)
09/13 – Belbin Team Role Accreditation (via Belbin UK)
06/12 – Facilitation and coaching training (via MoD)
02/11 – Defence Instructional Techniques (via MoD)
06/10 – Strength Deployment Inventory (via Personal Strengths UK)
05/13 – Critical Thinking (via Defence Academy of the UK)
I believe that professionals should be a member of a suitable professional body, to give their clients confidence in their abilities.
Chartered Institute of Management (pending)
Member of the National Autistic Society